Saturday, January 27, 2007

Land of Eternal Hipness: The Old Lady at the Black Cat...

This NY Mag story ( Up With Grups ) has temporarily assuaged my guilt. "Is it really so unseemly," I wondered, "to shop at H&M and listen to college radio as I creep towards middle age? Am I like that sad-sack, slightly pervy alum who loiters at frat parties well past his 25th birthday?"

Thankfully, the answer is no, stated by no less an authority as New York Magazine, in an article that supports my cause even as it dips occasionally into the kind of descriptions that get cited in "*feminine hygiene product* of the month" blog posts.

Woo-hoo - I can put off gravitas and Talbots twinsets for at least another decade! Off to the Coachella Festival.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ventured into H&M a few weeks back, and I admit feeling comforted to see that there was at least one person in there whose hair was grayer than mine. And then I ran into an acquaintance shopping there who, while she may be a little younger, does have two kids. Slightly pervy sad-sackiness loves company.

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

globalchameleon, I really enjoy your blog and would like to talk to you about involvement in another writing project. If you are interested, please email me at lauren[at]thisisby[dot]us.

 
At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, more spam. Presumably thenumbers for that search will be going up, though I'm sure they have some variations.

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of Matthew McConaughey's breakout performance as David Wooderson in "Dazed and Confused" ("Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home