Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Blogging from my couch (aka Crossed Over to the Dark Side)

I am blogging from the couch in my apartment simultaneously watching Euro 2008 and gearing up for a "work from home" project. Bliss, pure bliss...

Why is this a big deal? you may ask. Well, I have finally let the Dark Side - aka Sith Lord Comcast * - into my apartment.

Up until now, the only action my TV screen has seen has come from DVDs. And the only time I've logged onto the Internet has been through wi-fi hotspots.

This has been quite purposeful. When it comes to the plethora of channels of cable TV, I'm like a kid in a candy store. A morbidly obese kid. I told myself that as long as I lived in a vibrant major metropolitan area, I would not spend my spare time watching reruns of E True Hollywood Story.

As for the wi-fi, when I first moved here, I figured it would be best for me to do my Internet stuff out in public where I might actually converse with people rather than turn into a LED-tanned shut-in.

That strategy worked swimmingly for a few years. Then a few things changed - including security issues that had me changing passwords so frequently that I forgot half of them myself. So now my willpower will be tested.

Gotta run - soccer's over and Britney's on...

* Ironically, during the installation, WAMU ran a program on competition and telecommunications. A guest - the type with a New Orleans-style altar dedicated to Steve Jobs and a sign on the front door marked "Creative Class Only" - argued that people in rural areas DO NOT NEED broadband. Hello? Out on the prairie/tundra/desert, high-speed Internet access is truly essential, and truly used and appreciated. But I digress...

4 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Marissa said...

My Internet went down a while ago and I had no idea what to do with my time. I decided to read a book. It felt weird. So retro!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Emil Chuck said...

I've been bombarded by Verizon Fios commercials. Just wait until you get a DVR/TiVo like I did. Of course, I've already told you about Slingbox.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger globalchameleon said...

What is Slingbox? I don't think you have told me. Also, I'm quite proud of myself - I actually read something last night despite the TV - the new Vanity Fair with Angelina on the cover (trust me, one can not miss this on newsstands - and I say this as a heterosexual female). Very good article about the history of the Internet. Much-acclaimed article about Bill Clinton a bit disappointing, though

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when I first visited Alaska in 1996. I was in the town of Talkeetna, as Northern Exposure as it gets.

I'd never seen so many satellite dishes. In the general store they had the weather forecast -- a printout from Yahoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home