Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I get older. They stay the same age.

No, I'm not a player-about-town scoping out the "18-and-up" shows, I'm a nearly middle-age* listener of music on the metro, realizing that the artists in the Musicfone are frozen in my mind just as I remember them in the 1980s and 1990s.

What are they doing now?

Is PJ Harvey still hoarse, scrappy and full of attitude? God, I would be crushed to find out that she was selling Amway and knitting yarn toilet-paper cozies. And Paul Westerberg - I hear he's married with a kid or two. (My teenage self is jealous for a moment, until I realize he probably leaves amp wires and crap lying around the house, and one can trip on those things.)

Best not to wonder. Best not to google.

Once you've seen Rick Springfield rant at a crowd at Celebrate Fairfax! you know you can never go back.

(The Smithereens opened for him - yes, you got that order right - they were the opening band and Dr. Flowing Feathered Mullet the main attraction. Travesty amid the funnel cake.)

* Seriously, you multiply my number of years by two and you do get close to the life expectancy of some countries that are not Zimbabwe (sadly, Zimbabwe middle age would place me at 19.5 years). That's why I chuckle at 60-year-old guys who claim middle age - you plan to live to 120? Right on!

4 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

As far as I know, P.J. is still a critical and cult fave at least. And I for one still listen to the Smithereens on a regular basis (ok, when they show up on Shuffle on my iPod), and their music still sounds timeless to me, especially compared to The Mulleted One. I also remember seeing Deep Blue Something at some festival on the green in Old Town Alexandria. They had to sing that "Breakfast at Tiffany's" song twice, since it was their only hit. Pretty pathetic.

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Methinks you worry too much about age. You still got everything going for you! You got your health, good looks and your memory LOL. You haven't ever fallen and couldn't get up! After all I hear 30 is the new 20. So whatever your age is you're basically still a young adult :)

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Erica said...

The Smithereens was the first concert I went to! It was at the hot, sweaty, crowded and absolutely perfect Boathouse in Norfolk. We met the band earlier that day at Tracks music store and they signed our album covers. They were super cool dudes!They made actual conversation and were funny and gracious. And I couldn't stop smiling braces and all! The show was amazing and we were on the front row. My ribs were bruised from being pushed by the crowd into the stage but I loved every second of that show. What a great first concert. Thanks for the memories!!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger globalchameleon said...

I remember my first Smithereens concert as well - at the historic restored Ogden Theater in downtown Denver - stale draft beer, stage diving (others, not me) Good times, good times...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home